Home

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

[130604] CL’s Interview w/OSEN: “I just want to be a cool woman. Of course I’d be grateful if you think that I’m pretty.”


CL is ‘bad’. But that makes her relatable. Globally.
Having joined YG Entertainment at 16 years old, she spent 4 years as a trainee and has lived as a singer for the past 3 years. CL had grown up in YGE through the 7 years she has spent there, which has led her to possess charisma that is unmatched.

Through the release of her first solo song ‘The Baddest Female’ on the 28th last month, CL transformed into a powerful hip-hopper. This is a concept that has not been shown by any domestic female singer before.

The CL-effect could be seen immediately. Not only did she achieve an all-kill with all of the domestic charts, U.S’ Billboard also commented that she’s an “outstanding female singer with an authentic persona that is reminiscent of Nicki Minaj.” It is partly thanks to CL’s firm beliefs that she was able to achieve these results.

At a media interview on the 3rd (of June), rather than greeting reporters with the intensity that she shows on stage, she ‘knocked reporters out’ with her bright and cute smile instead. With her flowing blonde hair and in a black outfit, CL’s femininity was overflowing.

CL was first asked to comment on the first stage for ‘The Baddest Female’ that was completed just the day before the interview.

“Although I wasn’t a 100% satisfied with it, it was really fun. I didn’t know that it would be that exciting to be able to show a new stage after so long. I gained strength from the many fans that came and the 2NE1 members who came to support (me).”

CL’s first solo song ‘The Baddest Female’ is the work of YG’s representative producer, Teddy. The somewhat strong title that is ‘나쁜 기집애’ is a result of conversation between the two (CL and Teddy).

“A while back, when I was joking with Teddy sunbaenim (i.e. senior), the words ‘나쁜 기집애’ came up. Sunbaenim then suggested that to me as he thought it matched (me/the song) well. I thought it was fun too. I’m really happy to have Teddy sunbaenim write the song. Although I wasn’t directly involved in the work, I was always there with sunbaenim when he was working on it. Overall, I watched the process of the creation of my song. I had a “happy dilemma” as I thought of how I could express this song as best as I can.”

‘The Baddest Female’ is a slow hip-hop song. It is already unusual for Korean female solo singers to do traditional hip-hop, but for CL, more than just being popular, it is more important to do the music that one can do best. This girl shares her firm beliefs on this matter.

“I wanted to let everyone hear the music that I could express best. While it’s true that more people like pop music than hip-hop, I wanted to be the first to showcase what I like and what I do best. Of course, it would be best if everyone who hears it likes it but most importantly, I’m genuinely happy to be able to let everyone hear it.”
CL would always show the brightest expression and was most serious when talking about the process of making music and her aspirations as a singer. This is a true workaholic that is in love with music.

“Truthfully the various processes of preparing everything this time around didn’t feel like work at all. I had fun doing everything from costumes to the performance, the song and even during meetings. I talked a lot with the staffs too. As this was an opportunity for me to tell them everything that I wanted to do, I guess that was why I had an even more positive attitude as I participated in the process.”



While CL emits a strong charisma on stage that is unmatched by any other, her coy sexiness also stands out. The brilliant outfits that she wears coupled with her pretty good looks has attracted the attention of the public.

“Did you say (I’m) sexy? Truthfully, I’d like for people to think that I’m cool. I don’t think I’ve ever thought of wanting to be sexy. I just want to be a cool woman. Of course I’d be grateful if you think that I’m pretty. Ah, I dieted a lot though(laughs).”

The CL on stage and off stage is somewhat different. The CL that is off stage is always Chaerin at every minute. Unlike the tough CL on stage, Chaerin is a gentle and feminine side to her.

“There is a lot of people that think that I ‘play very well’(i.e. parties a lot) due to my image on stage. But actually, I don’t know how to play and am not a fun person to play with. I’m probably just a workaholic. Only music, working and going on stage is fun for me. My only hobby is cooking. I think of cooking another form of art. I often give food to the members and hear that it’s delicious. It’s one way which I use to try and distinguish CL and Chaerin. When I meet my friends and family, I want to show them Chaerin as much as possible.”

2NE1 as well as CL, always emphasizes being ‘women/female’. This is also a significant part of CL’s beliefs. She is keen to break the prejudice that foreigners have against Asian women. Throughout the entire interview, CL’s expression was the most determined when talking about the topic of femininity and she seems to be resolute in her beliefs.

“I was always enrolled in an international school, (and realised that) foreigners have a very ‘fixed’ image of Asian girls. While it was positive, but the opposite of that exists. I think the thought that ‘I want to break the mold’ just emerged naturally in my mind as I formed close relationships with foreign friends while growing up. Within the time that has passed, Jeremy Scott and will.i.am also told me that “(they) didn’t know that there are women who like hip-hop and wearing stylish clothes like (me) in Asia.” Ever since I heard those words, I’ve always wanted to let everyone know of a different image of the Asian women. That there is actually a lot of cool women (in Asia).”
On the basis of her strong beliefs, CL is moving forward while holding on to a huge dream. Could her goal be to be like G-dragon, a colleague in the same company who has enjoyed success for his solo world tour?

“I don’t want to limit myself as a female rapper and I want to show a variety (of things). As hip-hops flows in my blood, I’d like to show a variety of music with hip-hop as a base. In due course, later, I have to admit that I’d like to make my own album. I’d be really happy too if I could do a world tour. The day when I’ll be able to think about that will be a really thankful day for me.”




Source: Osen via Naver
Translated by: CLtheBaddestFemale.com (CLTBF)

No comments:

Post a Comment